Tuesday, August 17, 2010

A Silly Little Train Ride

Dang, how cute are toddlers?  It's just ridiculous how cute and sweet they can be as they talk and come up with crazy things.  Cece hung out with her best pal Nate today at the zoo and they rode a kiddie train together all by themselves.  I was over the moon with pride.  How ridiculous is that?  The girl rode a train, not climbed a mountain.  It was just so wonderful to see her and Nate get onto this train and not cry for their parents or feel nervous.  They were laughing and smiling and I kept thinking about how that's what parenting is supposed to be--loving your kids so much that they have confidence to go out there and do things on their own and feel like they have permission to do so.  I know raising kids is chock-full of these moments where I'll find myself being like, "Oh my gosh, she's the same child who was once a tiny baby and now look at her."  I guess that sort of thinking never ends and I'll be thinking that when she's 55.  As new parents we often don't think past the idea of having kids.  We know we want kids, so we have them.  We know it'll be hard work and a lot of money, but one thing we can never truly be schooled on or prepared for is just how much they change you.  Sure, you have to kiss parts of your old life goodbye like having time to yourself,  but it's worth it.  To see these little creatures blossom before your eyes is payoff enough to trade in time in front of the TV or grabbing a cappucino.  Although I have to admit both of those things sound pretty darn good right about now.
Tomorrow morning we find out if our next baby is a boy or girl!  I wanted another girl from day one so Cece could have a close friend, but now I don't care at all.  She can be close friends with a brother, and it might even be better to have that boy influence in her life.  She can teach him to treat women with respect and he can teach her how to be confident and not let boys get the best of her.  Either way, it's going to be a great adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment